The on-screen display of modules (the boxes that appear in the left and right columns) is separately controlled by three different settings:
- General Settings (Administration/General tab) If you check Display modules to all groups always, all active modules will be displayed to all users, regardless of the group permissions you may have chosen on the Admin Modules page.
- Admin Modules (Admin menu/Modules) You can assign group permissions to each module you enable. If you choose Anonymous, all site visitors will see the module. If you choose Registered, only registered users see the module. If you choose Editors, only the members of the Editors group will see the module. By default, the Administration menu is available only to administrators.
- Features If you check Users can configure modules (Administration/Features tab), users can alter the position and toggle the display of modules; however, they can control only those modules that the administrator has enabled.
Many fully develped Tikiwiki sites use the following configuration:
- Uncheck Display modules to all groups always. Rationale: Some modules are useful (or wise to display) only to registered users.
- Decide which modules should be seen by everyone (Anonymous permission level), by registered users only (Registered permission level), and by your administrative assistants (Editors permission level). Assign the appropriate permissions in the Admin Modules page.
TIP By default, admin sees every enabled module — but that doesn't mean users can! To make sure you know what your users are seeing, create a test user account, log in, and have a look.
Users can't see the modules I enabled!
Because module display is separately controlled by three different administration options, you might have trouble figuring out why certain modules are appearing (or failing to appear). Keep the following in mind:
- If anonymous users see modules that you thought you had restricted to registered users, uncheck Display modules to all groups always (Administration/General tab).
- If one or more modules don't appear, consider the following:
- Did you enable Users can configure modules (Administration/features tab)? If so, you must separately enable and configure modules in your own MyTiki/Modules menu before users can see them.
- Did you assign a permission level to the module? Look at the module's entry in the Assigned Modules table on the Admin Module page. If there's no entry in the Groups column, you need to assign a permission.
There are visibility options :
- Displayed for the eligible users with no personal assigned modules
- Displayed now for all eligible users even with personal assigned modules
- Displayed now, can't be unassigned
- Not displayed until a user chooses it